Friday, April 8, 2011

Interview and a Giveaway!

Happy Friday everyone! Today, I had the pleasure of interviewing fellow Lyrical author, Stephanie Haefner. Stephanie just released Paradise Cove this Monday. I haven't gotten a chance to read it yet, but her last book, A Bitch Named Karma, was such a great read, I ended up staying awake until 3am to finish it. Needless to say, I'm very excited to read this one. So excited, in fact, that two of you will win copies of the book, one from Stephanie and one from me (details below). Without further ado, please join me in welcoming Stephanie Haefner!

Tell us a little about your latest release, Paradise Cove?
Paradise Cove is a shorter story, about a quarter the length of a novel. It’s a great quick read while waiting at the doctor’s office or on the ride to work, if you carpool or use public transportation. It’s contemporary romance, about a woman who leaves her home in New Jersey to buy a dilapidated resort in Cancun.

Sounds great! So tell us, If Paradise Cove was turned into a movie, what celebrities would you cast in the leading roles?
Ah, this is an easy question!! I almost always pick out actors when I write a story…I envision the scene in my head as I’m writing it and while doing edits. If I can visualize the scene, it helps me get the details just right!! I am a huge All My Children fan, so I often use actors from that show (been watching it for almost 20 years, 5 shows a week… I “know” them pretty well! LOL!) My main character, Shelby, is played by Alicia Minshew (who plays Kendall on AMC) and her love interest is Mark Consuelos, who I think everyone knows even if they aren’t an AMC fan! (He’s Kelly Ripa’s husband!)

What is your favorite thing about being a writer?
It’s hard to pick just one!! I think the best part is when someone tells me how much they loved my story. It’s so gratifying to know all that hard work is actually paying off. People get my story, they enjoy it, they can’t wait for more!! And working from home in my fleece pants…that’s kind of awesome too!

What do you want readers to take away from your books?
I know my genre-contemporary romance and women’s fiction- is not stuff that is changing the world or making people think deep thoughts. But if I can take someone away from their everyday life for a few hours and put a smile on their face, then my job is done. I want readers to laugh, cry, get angry…..I want them to experience a range of emotions and when it’s all over, say, “Wow, that was good!”

What do you do when you’re not writing?
I love to dance and I take an adult jazz class! I also do Zumba at least 3-4 times a week! So fun!! I’m always doing fun things with my hubby and kids, whether it be a trip to a local orchard, the beach, or Chuck E. Cheese! We are huge Disney World fans, so I am almost always planning a trip there!! And, of course, a good portion of my day is also spent online, networking and promoting my work!

If you could meet a character from any literary work, who would it be and what one question would you ask them?
Wow…that is a really tough question! This is probably going to sound so cliché, but my pick would be Scarlett O’Hara. I can identify with her on so many levels. My question would be: “Why did it take so long for your eyes to open and see Rhett’s love, and what are you gonna do to get him back?

What are you currently reading?
I am almost finished with Matched by Ally Condie (I will probably finish it tonight!) I have to say, the first few chapters did suck me in, but after that it got a little blah for 100 or so pages. Not sure why I stuck it out. But it has picked up toward the end!

What can we look forward to from you in the future?
I have another shorty releasing this summer, called Soap Dreams! It’s about a woman who is unhappy with her current life and her ex boyfriend-her first love (and first everything!)- steps back into her life and offers her the opportunity of a lifetime.

Any parting thoughts?
Thanks so much for having me!!

Thank you for being here!

Blurb for Paradise Cove:
Paradise is nothing if you choose to enjoy it alone.

When Shelby Meyer jetted off for a relaxing week in Cancun, she never expected to fall in love with the quaint piece of Mexican heaven. Or make on offer to buy it.

The Paradise Cove, a run-down Cancun resort, is in desperate need of TLC. Shelby can easily envision the resort as it was in its heyday and sees its potential. She vows to do everything in her power to return it to its former glory.

Though the previous owners' grandson, Gabriel, insists that she will destroy his family's resort, and a neighboring resort owner doubts in her ability, Shelby's resolve strengthens.

But when she finds her lists of repairs and the stack of bills piling up around her, hope begins to fade. Will she swallow her pride and accept Gabriel's love and financial help, or be forced to give up her dream of Paradise Cove?
Warning: Contains brief sexuality.

To enter the contest to win a copy of Paradise Cove, leave a comment or question below for Stephanie. Be sure to include your email address and whether you'd prefer a PDF copy or a Kindle copy. Stephanie will be giving away a PDF and I will be gifting a kindle book.  I can't guarantee you'll get the version you want. First pick will get their preference and second pick will get whichever is left. Don't worry if you don't have a kindle, Amazon offers free aps for computers and most smart phones. Contest will close this Sunday at noon, so be sure to enter before then!

12 comments:

  1. THANK YOU Sondrae for having me!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not read this author before but would like to. Please enter me for the kindle version.

    dolores.pks.smith@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad I could introduce you to a new author Corine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Corine!! Hope you get to read my book!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the interview. Awesome. I also think about which actors/actresses would play my characters. It's a lot of fun. =D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't see a lot of novellas around. SOunds interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love a chance to read a new author ( to me anyhow)in either kindle or pdf.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sondrae, wonderful interview! And Stephanie, we have a lot in common. I love to dance (took an adult jazz class a few years ago!), love Cancun, and love contemporary romance novels! Yours looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great interview! Nice to meet you Stephanie. The book looks like a fun read and the shorter format would definitely be an extra nice reason to pick it up. Good luck on your career!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks everyone!!

    Lyrical Press publishes lots of little shorties!! (I have another coming out this summer!) They're great little reads for when you don't have much time!

    Thanks Jill!! We do have lots in common!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sweet! I so LOVED A Bitch Named Karma, that after a kindle read I purchased and autographed print copy for myself! [I can't wait for Karma Chameleon.]

    I would love to win this!

    farmers.wife@ymail.com; KINDLE totally. But if I win PDF I'll take that just as well.

    Thanks y'all!!!!

    ReplyDelete