Friday, June 17, 2011

Rereading Blues

You know those books that you love so much, you just want to hug them? The books with characters and plots you could read over and over again? Some are obvious keepers. Watchers by Dean Koontz is a book I reread every year. Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card is a book I've only read once, but know I will reread many times in my lifetime. Some are less obvious. The books are great reads, but if after a few years, they haven't been picked up again, there's no reason to believe they ever will be again. After all, when you read dozens of books a year, you amass quite a collection over the course of a lifetime.

Lately, I've had a craving to reread some books that I read and loved years ago. This happens to me every now and then. Certain scenes or characters get stuck in my head, and the need to go back and reread the books assault me. It wouldn't be a problem except for one thing...

In the past five years, I've moved five times and am currently gearing up for another cross-country move. Each time, I was... convinced... to give away some of my gigantic book collection (this is before the kindle revolution allowed thousands of books to fit in a small device). I don't know how I decided which books to keep and which to get rid of, but every now and then, the book/s that I want to revisit aren't in my collection. Lately, I've been all about rereading some of my favorite Nora Roberts books. And while I've kept quite a few of them, others unfortunately, haven't made the cut. Which leaves me with the option of re-buying the books, or trying to find them at the library, garage sales, or other avenues.

But it could be worse. I have hundreds of great romance stories when I'm in the mood for a reread. I might not be able to find exactly what I'm looking for, but there are plenty of great books to reread, or read for the first time, to tide me over until I do find the one I'm looking for.

Do you reread books? What are some of your favorites?

3 comments:

  1. I suppose if I reread books in the same decade it might be more enjoyable, but I made the mistake of reading books of when I was a kid or a young woman (and adored) and they just didn't have the same effect on me.

    There are so many books out. It's better that I just remember how much I loved them then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that picture. I wish I could be hugging a book and having it hug me back. :-)


    I never reread books. They are never as good as the first time that I read it. Besides, there are way too many great new books I want to read. I never run low on books as my TBR list is close to 200 books long.


    It sucks that you had to give up some of the books you love. I've almost had to do that but luckily, I got to keep all of my books, even if half of them are stored in boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maria, I've gone back and not enjoyed a book as much as I remember, too. But most of the ones I reread are just as good as I remember.

    Angelina- Isn't that picture amazing. I've been holding onto it for awhile just waiting for the time when I could use it, lol. Stored in boxes is still available though. Glad you got to keep your collection intact.

    ReplyDelete