Thursday, July 15, 2010

The Human Interaction

One of my not-so-secret dirty pleasures is reality television. I eat it up and love every moment of it. Everything from the cutthroat contests like Survivor (possibly my favorite) to the ridiculously corny mtv and vh1 shows like Rock of Love and Tool Academy. People often make fun of me when I admit my adoration of these shows, but honestly I find it hard to mind. Even knowing how ridiculous reality television can be, I still find myself drawn to it. Reflecting on some of my favorite shows, I actually think it makes me a better writer.

Now I'm sure anyone reading this blog is thinking to themselves, what the hell is she thinking. But all I have to do is look back at some of my favorite tribal councils in Survivor and I know I'm on to something. Reality television gives me insight into the human psyche. The disbelieving hope and joy as someone realizes their dream the first time they get to sing or dance on stage. The heartbreak as someone doesn't get a rose. And the willpower and strategic planning it takes to get ahead.

Through these shows I see not just the average everyday side of people but also The extraordinary lengths people go to when pushed against a wall. There are the conniving villains who go to such extremes as to tell their tribe their grandmother died to stay on the island another week or burn someones socks to control their emotions.

More interesting than the villains themselves are the people who play with them and the way they behave toward them. So many different people who range from hating to tolerating to actually enjoying their behavior. It's fascinating to watch people play these games and truly gives me insight into how their minds grapple with problems.

So as the latest season of Big Brother starts up on CBS, I find myself avidly watching and excited to see what this season will bring. Because the more I broaden my knowledge of the human psyche, the better equipped I can be when creating characters. Do I plan to have my characters screaming and throwing tantrums like in some of these shows? Most definitely not. But can I use certain elements of contestants to give my characters new depth? Certainly!

2 comments:

  1. I agree! You really do get to see every side of people on these shows, though mostly they're edited for maximum drama! I am a huge Dancing with the Stars fan...I love dancing, but I also love to see celebrities being real and vulnerable....human. We also love celebrity Apprentice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Celebrity Apprentice too. I agree it's always nice to see the softer side of celebrities (or the real side...not always "soft"). Of course producers want maximum drama but I think there are nuggets of true personality gold to be found. Glad to see I'm not the only one who loves these shows!

    ReplyDelete