Despite the old adage "don't judge a book by it's cover", I believe the cover of a book is incredibly important. Does this mean every good book has a great cover? Or that there are no bad books hidden behind beautiful cover art? Of course not. But the cover is the first thing a reader sees. Even before they read the blurb, potential readers are drawn (or not) to a book by what they see. If the cover is pleasing, chances are greater that they'll take the time to read the blurb. The cover is the front man for the book, the spokesperson. It is what will make readers either pick up your book or not.
I'll admit, if I'm wavering about a purchase, the first thing I look at is whether or not the cover intrigues me. It might be shallow, especially knowing that writers are usually not the ones creating their art. But a good cover will give insight into the story. Are there half naked people on the cover? Chances are good you're about to read a romance. Is that a shadow creeping in that alley? You're looking at a horror novel or maybe a mystery. And maybe it's just in my own mind, but if a cover is beautiful, it tells me that the publisher took care with the book in other facets of it's life. I find books with great covers are well edited and tend to have a better story than those that look hastily thrown together.
Danielle over at Romance Book Junkies has a weekly post where she chooses a cover and analyzes it with her bloggers. I thought it was a great idea and it inspired this post. So, I've chosen a book cover as well. While looking through my recommendations on Amazon (which lets face it is all about the covers), I came upon this book. I haven't read the book so this is by no means a recommendation or a review of the book itself. Merely of the cover. Or rather, in this case, covers. Lucky for us, the book I chose was previously published and has two different covers to compare.
So, here are the two covers for the same book, He's the One by Jane Beckenham. These two covers are completely different and yet one draws me to the book and makes me want to read more while the other....well doesn't. Which doesn't mean a different person couldn't feel completely different than me. But personally, the cover on the right feels much more put together and makes me want to learn more. Its the same book (although probably with a few changes as it was re-released). I would be reading the same story no matter which one I picked up. But the fact remains, I would pick up one and probably pass on the other.
What do you think? Are you drawn to one cover over the other? Or do covers not play into your decision making at all?


I think it all depends on preferences, I like the one on the left because it looks fun, flirty and romantic. I feel like i have an insight into his character just by the picture - he looks like he will indulge her. The one on the right is modern and has more work put into it ie the font and general design but it does not tell me anything about the characters except that they look hot and will be an intense couple and that works too
ReplyDeleteThe cover photos imply very different moods but they're both good. The only thing I see wrong about either one is the title font on the first cover - that's hideous! A font like that only belongs on a kid's book. The picture is cute enough I would still read the blurb, though.
ReplyDeleteI try not to judge a book by it's cover, especially romance novels, because the author has very little say on the cover. A lot of the older covers are gloriously cheesy and fun to look at. :-)
I actually agree with both of you. I do like the picture on the left cover, but I can't get past the layout and that huge, red, comic sans title.
ReplyDeleteI did actually end up buying the book last night and although I'm not very far in, so far I'm enjoying it.