I was browsing through blogs and came across this very spook-tacular boo-fest. I decided to make a last minute entry because it really is such a fun idea. This blogfest is being held by Quinn at Seeing, Dreaming...Writing. He asks the question: Have you ever seen a ghost or know anyone who has?
I've always had a strange relationship with ghosts. I grew up doing community theater. Now, if you ever worked in a theater, you know that almost all of them have their own ghost stories. My college theater was haunted by 'The Lady in Red' although I never saw her myself. At the community theater I grew up in, however, it was Oscar.
Rumor had it, Oscar was a janitor who had died in the attic of the theater. I'm almost positive this never happened. But I do believe there was a presence in that theater that wasn't entirely human. It's possible he materialized, much like Freddy Krueger, based on years of belief in him, passed down from one generation of young actors to the next. I remember the older kids holding Seances. In retrospect, I'm sure they "moved" things around themselves, but back then it was Oscar doing it.
Most people are frightened by ghosts, but I grew up with Oscar. Unlike most ghosts, he was friendly and comforting. I used to think Oscar followed me around. That he sensed a kindred soul in me. I even remember starting a new school and being comforted thinking Oscar had left the theater to help me along. Although I don't doubt there was something walking those dark theater aisles, I doubt whatever it was payed much attention to me or followed me to school. But, like most authors, my imagination gets away from me sometimes, especially when I was young.
Whatever it was, whether actual spirit or manifestation of children's beliefs, Oscar was my first run in with the otherworldly and one that surely has influenced my love of the paranormal today. I sometimes forget about him and it's nice to take a moment and reminisce.
I hope you all enjoyed learning a bit about my haunted upbringings. Thanks to Quinn and Patricia A. Timms for hosting this boo-fest. Be sure to head to Quinn's blog and visit the other entries.
Thanks for participating! Theaters definitely have a life of their own. I attended The American Academy of Dramatic Arts West and felt that there were spirits lingering around watching us. I'm glad you were able to join in the Boo-Fest!
ReplyDeleteThis is a pretty neat story. I remember hearing a story growing up about an abandoned house near my elementary school--the kids used to say a murder happened there or something like that and that it was pretty haunted now. I don't think any murders ever really happened there, but the stories were enough to make everyone a little uneasy about the place.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing.
Aw that is actually such a sweet story.
ReplyDeleteIt's so nice to read that someone else had met a nice "ghost" ;-)
Nice to meet you Sonfrae. I love your name. Oscar sounds like fun. Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment.
ReplyDeleteNancy
N. R. Williams, fantasy author
Our blood center in Beaumont was formerly a small clinic where operations were performed. There is one lonely spirit in her hospital gown, who roams the winding halls in search of some small measure of understanding why her world no longer makes sense. I do not believe she realizes she is dead. Or she is running from that thought down dark halls.
ReplyDeleteThank you for dropping by my blog and commenting. It meant a lot to me. Roland
Thanks for coming by and commenting Roland and Nancy!
ReplyDeleteIt is nice to hear that people have good ghost experiences. This was a nice story. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad that you could participate!
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading a positive ghost story.
You bring up an interesting point and it's something I've thought about before ... can collective belief make something manifest? I think I even wrote a paper on in in college (in reference to religion though, not ghosts).
Yeah, I like your theory about collective belief making things manifest. And I get the religion perspective on that too...I always have this image of a place in the afterlife where all the atheists have to stay, doing nothing because they didn't believe in anything.
ReplyDeleteGood to know that not all hauntings are malevolent! Oscar the friendly ghost janitor. :)
ReplyDelete