Wednesday, November 9, 2011

October Reads

I'm a little late again this month, but since it's November, I wanted to share the books I read in October. Since I did a lot of rereading in September, I made sure all of my October reads were new books. I even went a step further and read mostly new authors to me (I snuck in a Kresley Cole book even though she's not a new author to me).



Kiss of a Demon King - by: Kresley Cole - 3 stars. This book would be rated higher, but compared to the other books in the series, I found it lacking. To be honest, I've never been a fan of "capture" romances, and even though this story had a nice twist (the man starting out as the prisoner of the woman), the first half of the book was exactly that. But as always, Ms. Cole is a phenomenal writer with likeable, quirky characters. And the last half of the book was extremely enjoyable.


 
Chocolate Damsel - by: a.c. Mason - 5 stars. I picked up this book for a couple reasons, not least of which was the interesting blurb, the numerous positive reviews, and the stunning cover (I know, I'm shallow, but I totally judge books by their covers). I was very happy with what I got. The book could have been fleshed out a bit, but I knew going in that it was a novella (in my opinion if you pick up a novella, you can't expect to get a full novel), and the character development and plot were spot on. Overall, I'd highly recommend this read to anyone looking for a historical werewolf novella.



Chocolate Temptation - by: a.c. Mason - 4 star. First, let me just point out how much I love these covers. The sequel to Chocolate Damsel wasn't quite as good as the first book, which is why I rated it a 4 instead of a 5. But in all honesty, it was another highly enjoyable read. I finished both books in the course of a weekend because I simply couldn't put them down. Highly recommended.



Demons are a Girl's Best Friend - by: Linda Wisdom - 2 stars. I really struggled with this book, and ended up putting it down before finishing. I wanted to like this book, and on the surface, all the elements were there to make an incredible read. But the end product fell...flat. The heroine's snarky attitude felt like a cheap imitation of really good spunky heroines like Mac Lane or the heroines in the IAD series. It tried too hard to fit the mold of what is currently "in".



Call Me - by: Lena Matthews - 3 stars. I got this book as a kindle freebie and glad I did. It was a good no holds hot sex read, which was exactly what I was in the mood for. But I don't know that I would have been as happy had I paid for the book. Take from that what you will.


Lucifer's Daughter - by: Eve Langlais - 4 stars. I stumbled upon a character interview by ms. Langlais on Bitten by Paranormal Romance. Side note: If you haven't been to Bitten by Paranormal romance yet, I highly recommend it! The character interview was so much fun, I immediately went out and bought the first book in the series --something that pissed off the other books waiting patiently in my TBR pile. Lucifer's Daughter was a unique and enjoyable read. My biggest complaint was that it was written in first person--something that is hard to do right in my opinion. As a reader, very few books work for me when written in first person (a few do, most don't). Other than that, very enjoyable. I'm currently working on the second book and will talk about it in my November Reads post.

So those were my October Reads. Top pick of the month has to go to Chocolate Damsel by: a.c. Mason.

What books did you read in October? What was your top pick?

No comments:

Post a Comment