Saturday, December 17, 2011

Where is the snow?

The Christmas excitement hasn't hit me, yet. I'm still having a hard time believing it is only a week away! My shopping is almost done. I have one more gift to buy and I know exactly what I'm getting, just haven't picked it up yet. But even shopping was less exciting than in years past. Picking out gifts for my loved ones is usually my favorite part of the holiday season. As I peruse through stores, I can picture everyone's face as they open their present. But this year, most of my gifts are suggestions from the person or from someone else.

I think part of my funk lies with my recent move. This is the first time in my life I'm living somewhere warmer for the winter. Having grown up in Michigan, attending college in Syracuse, New York (now that is winter), and living in NYC, snow has been a staple in my winter/Christmas experience. But now, there's no snow. No knit hats with reindeer on them, no snow angels, or snowmen. And worst of all, very few houses with decorations and lights.

One of my favorite things to do at Christmas time is drive around the neighborhood and see all the different lights reflecting off the white snow. Colored lights, and white lights, and those decorated all in blue. I just love it.

Tonight, in an effort to get out of my Christmas funk, I'm going to brew up a steamy cup of hot chocolate, put on a Christmas movie (I'm banking on one being on tv since I don't have any with me, lol), and wrapping gifts to put under our tree.

What would you recommend I do to get in the Christmas spirit?

No comments:

Post a Comment