Sunday, June 17, 2012

Madly in Love Monday - 6/17

Another Monday morning. Uhg, I know. I like it no better than you. But if there's an upside to Monday, it allows me to do another Madly in Love post and talk about some of the amazing books I've discovered. And since I took such a long break from the blog a few months ago, I have plenty of amazing books I can talk about with all of you!


The first thing I noticed about Chairman of the Whored was the cover. So evocative and enticing. It intrigued me, but I ended up not buying the book until recently when I ran across the book while surfing on Amazon, one of my favorite pastimes. And even then, I was a bit hesitant to start. The idea of a heroine who was a whore just wasn't working for me. But I did pick it up, and boy was I glad I did. 

Lucy V. Morgan has a very interesting and unique writing style. It took me a little while to get used to it, and to follow along with the train of thought, which often feels a bit like a runaway train, but once I found the flow of the story, I was completely hooked. The main character Leila has become one of my favorite heroines. She's quirky, but so utterly charming and likable. The hero feels like he was literally made for her. The story as a whole, which continues in the second book, The Whored's Prayer, makes you laugh and cry along with the characters, and is a truly moving tale.


This book is not for everyone. Even though I absolutely adore it, I realize that it is not your typical romance. But if you enjoy explicit tales, and are looking for something to read, I HIGHLY recommend this novel. Leila as a character alone is enough to make this tale worth your time, and the secondary characters are just as diverse and interesting. 


blurb:
Dark. Debauched. Delicious... Is she ready to go under his knife?

Leila Vaughn is a tax lawyer at a prestigious London law firm. And a whore. She didn't take the night job just to pay off her debts-- an affair with an older man once stirred a pit of darker desires. Now her year as an escort is almost over, she's ready to lock up her alter- ego, Charlotte, and be normal once again. What's bad is that her colleague, Matt, just caught her out. What's worse is that their boss Joseph is with him.

Matt wants to rescue Leila. And she should want what he does--monogamy and escape from the city--if she's going to be normal, right? But her boss is as familiar with the slippery world of escorting as she is, and that makes him hard to resist. In London's tightest circles, he's known as the Chairman of the Whored. Bold, sharp and ruthless, he's everything Leila is trying not to be--so why can't she say no to him?

Three jobs left before she pays off her debt. Two men playing games she can't handle. One alter-ego, banging against the mirror. In a dark hotel room, the glass is about to break...

WARNING: Contains clever lawyers with a penchant for violence, and an
alter-ego like Tinkerbell on meth.



 Leave a comment and tell me what book you love!

2 comments:

  1. I loved both of these books and hope Leila's friend Aidan gets his own story.

    Sondrae, the blog looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete