Every writer has a different method to creating a story. Personally, I always start with the characters. I create them in my mind long before I even put pen to paper. It's only after I've developed a friendship with my main characters that I begin placing them into a story. That's just the way I write.
Now, I'm sure everyone reading this is wondering WHY I'm making this post. Well, to put it simply, I screwed up with my latest story. It just wasn't working for me and I tried rewriting and just could not get it right. I struggled every time I sat down to write and couldn't get a flow going. I must have gone over the first 5,000 words a hundred times and it just wasn't reading naturally to me. I loved everything done in my hero's POV but hated what I wrote in my heroine's POV. Everything was dry and boring. If I didn't find it interesting, I knew nobody else would.
Finally, last night, I was pushing forward and it hit me, almost as if my heroine literally knocked me over the head with a baseball bat. I thought I knew her character well enough to start writing but I was clearly wrong. I'd been trying to make her react the way I wanted her to instead of working with what was already there. Well, I'm happy to say she's taken control now and we're back on track. I've started rewriting and editing the beginning and I'm so thrilled with how it's starting to sound! I have no idea where the story is going to go from here but I'm just so excited that I've figured out and solved the problem that I needed to share.
Anyway, I hope everyone is having a great weekend! Stay tuned this week I'm going to be participating in "Teaser Tuesday" from 'Should be Reading' blog and later I'm having an interview/giveaway with the fabulous Rhonda Leah! Be sure to keep checking in so you don't miss the fun!
No comments:
Post a Comment