There are those movie moments that stick with you and become a part of movie history. They're the moments that make us feel joy, laughter, sorrow, disbelief. When someone says a line from these memorable moments, our minds immediately conjure images from the movie. When someone says, "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn", who doesn't think of Gone With The Wind. Today, I'm bringing you five memorable movie moments. Now these are not my favorite movies of all time (although all are pretty high ranking on my list) but they are five of my favorite standalone movie moments.
1. Let's start us off with an easy one. "Luke, I am your father." If you don't know this one you need to go out to Blockbuster and rent the Star Wars trilogy right now. Seriously, stop reading, get in your car, and go right now. This will be apart of movie history for many many years to come. Millions of people watched in the movie theaters, shocked when this little tidbit was revealed during Empire Strikes Back. It may be an obvious one to put on a list like this but it's overused for a reason, pure brilliance. Audiences felt Luke Skywalker's shock and pain and it was George Lucas' ability to evoke these emotions that propelled this moment into movie history.
2. "Nobody puts Baby in a corner." Who's heart doesn't melt even just hearing these words, much less seeing a very sexy Patrick Swayze defend his woman like a knight of old at the end of Dirty Dancing.
3. "Big Mistage. Big. HUGE." This quote might be a bit more ambiguous as theres not much to work with but let me set the scene. Who didn't cheer when they watched Julie Roberts walk into the snooty clothing store that had turned her away the day before and told them to shove it (in a much nicer way). I know I sat there and put the face of everyone who's ever made me feel beneath respect in place of that shopgirl, wishing I had the guts Julia Roberts had in Pretty Woman.
4. Along the same lines of number 3, "How do you like them Apples?" I love this moment for the same reasons I love number 3. Matt Damon rocked this scene in Good Will Hunting.
5. My last scene doesn't have words. But it involves a chair, an '80s cut off shirt and leg warmers. That's right...Flashdance. To this day, I can't hear the song "What a Feeling" without picturing Jennifer Beals arching over a chair. Although maybe not the greatest movie of all times, certainly one that influenced movie pop culture for many years afterward. Hearing this song on my way to work this morning is actually what motivated this post in the first place.
Well, I've come to the end of my list. What are your favorite memorable movie moments?
Dirty Dancing is my all time favorite movie..I can recite the whole movie!!! My favorite part is actually when she goes to Johnnie's room after their performance at the Sheldrake!
ReplyDeleteLove Pretty Woman too...just watched that the other night!! Awesome scene!
And BTW..."Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn" is from Gone With The Wind :)
You named a ton of awesome one's!!!! I was sitting at my desk thinking the first one was good, then I see "Nobody puts baby in a corner" and I'm giddy that you chose that one, but then you go one step further by the memorable and lovely Julia Roberts and my heart melts since Pretty Woman is my all time favorite movie!!! Like seriously the best!!!
ReplyDeleteBest list... serious dose of awesome!
Another good one is "I'm king of the world!" Jack Dawson (Leo Dicaprio) in Titanic.
Or another one that gives me chills "No wire hangers, ever!" Joan Crawford (Faye Dunaway) in Mommie Dearest.
Hell of a list.
ReplyDeleteMine can be summed up in five words.
"Here's looking at you, kid."
You're totally right, Stephanie! Total brain fart. I typed that but thought "Here's looking at you kid." (which Patrick mentioned). :) I fixed it in the post but thanks for the heads up!
ReplyDeletegreat list! I have to say my favourite movie quote has to be "I think we need a bigger boat.." from Jaws. Classic.
ReplyDeleteGood list! I liked "I love the smell of napalm in the morning," from Apocalypse now. And Robin Williams really rocked the line "Goooood morning, Vietnam!"
ReplyDeleteLOL Sondrae...I figured you knew...just got them mixed up! LOL! :)
ReplyDelete