Thursday, September 23, 2010

The Food of Love

Today, I'm participating in the Blogfeast hosted by Jaded Love Junkies. Yes, I said feAst, not fest. Click HERE for more details. The concept was to make a "feast" of blog posts. And what better way to combine food and romance than talking about aphrodisiacs, the food of love.

We all know they exist, but many people don't realize how easy it is to find and use aphrodisiacs in every day life. These foods, taking their name from the Greek God of Love Aphrodite, are not potions found in dimly lit gypsy huts, but things you see and buy at your local grocery store.

There are a few different categories aphrodisiacs fall under. Some of these foods, like garlic, basil, and asparagus are known to increase blood flow and heart rate which generate feelings of excitement and anticipation. Others, such as hot chilies, pomegranates, and vanilla, stimulate nerve endings making every touch feel better. Still others have aromas that encourage arousal in both men and women. Additional common aphrodisiacs include almonds, bananas, honey, red wine, figs, strawberries, oysters (of course), and the king of them all, chocolate. 

Today, I'm going to provide you with the perfect recipe for a romantic (and arousing) evening at home. I'm using a recipe from "Intercourses: an aphrodisiac cookbook" by Martha Hopkins and Randall Lockridge. This cookbook has everything from appetizers to desserts and all their recipes include aphrodisiacs. A must have for anyone looking to spice up their love life and their dinner menu.

I've chosen to share their Spicy Gingered Shrimp:
Ingredients:
Juice and zest of 2 limes plus one lime cut into wedges for garnish
3 hot chili peppers seeded and sliced
1 stalk lemongrass outer leaves discarded and inner stalk thinly sliced
1 piece ginger grated (about 2 tablespoons)
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tablespoon cilantro chopped
1 pound jumbo shrimp cleaned
salt and pepper to taste

Combine lime juice, zest, chilies, lemongrass, ginger, garlic, honey, olive oil, and cilantro in a casserole dish large enough to accommodate skewers, mix well. Thread 4 shrimp to a skewer. Add skewers to marinade, turning several times to coat well. You can also marinate loose shrimp ina  large, resealable, plastic bag (I recommend this option). Refrigerate 30 minutes to 1 hour, turning once or twice while marinating. Prepare grill or broiler to medium high heat. Season shrimp with salt and pepper. Grill or broil for 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until just cooked through. Garnish with extra cilantro and lime wedges.

I hope you enjoy but remember, just because these foods are aphrodisiacs doesn't mean you can rely solely on them to get your engines running. Try combining these foods into foreplay. Sip champagne out of your loved ones belly button, or give them a chocolate massage for dessert and see where the evening takes you...

12 comments:

  1. "I hope you enjoy but remember, just because these foods are aphrodisiacs doesn't mean you can rely solely on them to get your engines runninng." LOL. I loved this at the end!

    Even Zombies Have Taste

    ReplyDelete
  2. As every great restaurant knows : it's how you serve the food that counts! Even with aphrodisiacs.

    May your books rise up the bestseller lists. Roland

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by, guys! and Roland, thank you for the well wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew about some of these- I like strawberries and have tried other things. What a great post! The recipe seems tasty....I agree with Roland its not just the food but also the presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think my husband will like that book.

    CD

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for coming guys. It's a great dish and the cookbook does have some amazing recipes. Some are more complicated but some, like the spicy shrimp, are fairly easy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, someone did post a recipe!! I was hoping...

    Lol! No better way to present food around a Love Junkie than to associate sex in there somewhere :) Yummmmm! I love shrimp and I love spicy and I love garlic. It sounds soooo good.

    Generally, people know of a few foods considered aphrodisiacs, but I don't know anyone who knows exactly how they work. I really love that you used examples of that.

    This post brings to mind the scene in Sex and the City where Samantha's places sushi all over her naked body for her man to eat. Now that's some presentation skills there.

    Great post! Thank you for joining the 'Feast.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your blog - not JUST this post has seduced me. Love your writng style and voice. I hope to check out your novel when it is released.

    Excellent post. Wish I could eat chili pepers without the stomache difficulties. Maybe it works as well without.

    A great recipie I like to try - if I only had a partner. . .
    .......dhole

    ReplyDelete
  9. My husband is interested in that cookbook. Too bad he doesn't cook!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Donna - What an incredible compliment! Thank you for your kind words. They truly made my day.

    ReplyDelete