Friday, March 25, 2011

Taxes, Taxes, Taxes!

First thing first, I have a couple announcements. Lyrical Press is being featured at Books on Board and Arctic Winds is one of the featured books (a feature within a feature!). It's listed as HOT. I'm not sure what that means exactly but it sounds good!  HERE is the link. I also wanted to once again thank everyone who wished me a happy birthday and participated in the giveaway.

Now onto our main topic...taxes. That's right ladies and gentlemen, it's that time of year again. Tax season. If you're one of those people who did your taxes the first of February, well, good for you. I, on the other hand, spent the morning hunched over my paperwork, a calculator at my side, crunching numbers and checking boxes. Not very fun.

By far my least favorite thing about taxes is the anxiety that comes with it. Personally, I rarely (at least to date) have to pay end of the year taxes. My household income is low enough that I usually receive a small refund. But every time I come to a question that is the slightest bit ambiguous, I feel the anxiety creep up. What do I answer? Do I list that travel stipend I received? I don't know what happened to these receipts! I know I shouldn't worry. Truthfully, I doubt the IRA would audit me for my lousy income and even if they do, I doubt they're going to throw me in jail for not listing a $200 travel stipend (which I ended up listing anyway because paranoia set in). Logically, I know it will be okay but I never seem to listen to logic. I end up biting my nails and spend an endless amount of time debating my answer.

As with everything, where there is a least favorite thing, there's also a favorite thing. My favorite thing about taxes? Sure the refund is great. But my favorite thing about taxes is the relief that comes with finishing them. The sigh of relief you feel knowing there's a whole year between you and the next tax season! A huge weight is lifted off your shoulder until next year, which is so far away you don't even think about it.

Have you done your taxes yet? Do you get the same anxiety over your answers that I do?

4 comments:

  1. Grrrrr....don't get me on the subject of taxes. So nice to hear you're a featured book, however. Go, you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't done mine yet. Mostly I worry about deductions I've forgotten to take off. It seems like I always find a receipt for something I didn't deduct--after I sent the taxes in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my hubs is a financial geek so he does all of the taxes. Its my gift to him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Liz!

    Lol, Maria. That happens to me, too.

    Lucky you Joanna! And nice to see you around!

    ReplyDelete