No matter who you are or what your walk of life, we all have those days. The days when your inner critic, that little voice inside your head, says to you: Who do you think you're kidding? You can't do that. You're making a fool of yourself. Or my least favorite phrase from my critic: They're gonna find out you're a fraud.
Yes, when my critic pops up, she often calls me a fraud. Why? I couldn't tell you. Maybe it's just another way of telling myself I'm not good enough. That the people who like what I do, whether in writing or in something else (and yes, this feeling is not limited to my work) are fooled by something. A way of writing off my achievements.
Even knowing this is insecurity talking. knowing that my critic isn't real and isn't telling the truth doesn't make the voice go away. And there's no telling when or why she will appear. She doesn't necessarily pop up after a bad review or after some rejection. In fact, more often than not, it's some small level of success that brings out the inner critic. In the two or three days leading up to my book release, my critic came in full force. The day my hair dresser gushed over my book while I was there, my critic whispered her doubts in my ear.
So what's a person to do when their inner Ebert comes out to play? Unfortunately, I don't have an answer for you. I haven't found a method of silencing that voice. The only thing I'm able to do is sink myself into my work, try and tune out the voice, and let time quiet it.
Do you have an inner critic? What do you do to silence it?

Oh my gosh, all the time! And like you, it seems to be brought on more by good things than by bad. When I'm down, the instinct to get up and fight kicks in, but when I'm up...
ReplyDeleteI've got no fool proof way to get through it, but continuing to write and work and move forward instead of dwelling on it seems like the best idea.
Thanks for stopping by my blog and reading my interview! It was nice to see you in both spots. :)
It especially comes out when someone compliments me. Paint me paranoid. LOL.
ReplyDeleteYep that's my strategy too Nicki
ReplyDeleteI'm the same way Maria, someone compliments me and it's like waving a red flag in front of a bull for my critic.
Ugh, the self critic. Always the hardest to ignore. I just keep working--it's the only thing I can do.
ReplyDeleteMy inner critic is always hovering over me, attempting to derail me and my writing. I guess you're in good company:) Fortunately, I have a solid writing community and a patient family that remind me that I am one of my harshest critics. Lovely blog, new follower!
ReplyDeleteYes, and I totally *dislike* that B!tch. She pops up when I least like it. I silence her with wine and a happy dance cheering my motto that "I SO TOTALLY ROCK!" This works best watching oneself in the mirror. ;-P
ReplyDeleteIf I'm lucky, mine will make me mad. I'll start to argue and then find the need to prove her wrong. Perversly, I'm very focused when I'm pissed.
ReplyDeleteThat's what I do too Meredith.
ReplyDeleteThanks Lindsay! Having people who support us is so important. I don't know what I'd do without my family and friends!
Farmer*swife- I almost spit wine on my laptop. You cracked me up!
Linda- That's actually not a bad idea because I always dig in my heels and work harder when I'm trying to prove someone wrong. I'm gonna try it next time my critic comes around!
My inner critic is sometimes huge and sometimes tiny. I hear her more when I learn of other people's successes. She goes, "You'll never be like them."
ReplyDeleteIsn't that mean?