A lot has been going on behind the scenes with Brink of Passion, Alpine Woods Shifters 6. It's with a heavy heart I announce that Kensington has passed on publishing the book. The reason (at least the one they gave me) is that due to the length between series books, they do not believe the market is viable for a continuation. While I understand and respect their decision, I disagree. My personal belief is that there is not only a market but a desire for the continuation of this series, and I believe there are readers out there as excited and anxious for this book as I am. So, after much consideration, I have decided to dip my toe into self-publishing.It's scary. Nervewracking. There is a level of comfort with a reputable publisher behind you that makes you feel almost less exposed. Deciding to self publish was not an easy decision, and it's one that has left me feeling unexpectedly vulnerable. However, I have reread Brink of Passion with a more critical eye, and I truly believe it is something special. Since Arctic Winds, the very first book in the series, came out in 2011, I have looked forward to writing Laurie's story. She is a character who exhibits so much of who I wish I were. She's strong and clever and knows exactly who she is and what she wants. And she's found herself a perfect match in Max.
So even though this is a new and scary world I'm stepping into, the more I plan for this book, the more excited I become. This move is giving me the freedom of choice. The freedom to choose my release date, to have a larger part of the cover art and editing process, a process which I strongly believe is vital to the success of any book. Immediately after making this decision, I contacted the editor of my previous Alpine Woods Shifters book, Piper Denna, to see if she would be willing to edit, and was lucky enough to have her agree. I also am thrilled to have the same cover artist, Renee Rocco, designing the cover as she always does a truly extraordinary job. I feel truly blessed to have such wonderful and talented people working on Brink of Passion with me.
So, although the book is written, there are still many things left to do before it is ready to be released. I am determined not to slack on any one of them, and to make this book as polished as any released through a publisher.
The fun part (Release date):
Barring any unforeseen delays, I am officially setting the Brink of Passion release date for Wednesday, February 25, 2015! I hope that I have readers support in this risky move, and I hope you prove me sane in thinking there is a desire for the continuation of the series. So mark your calendars folks! Brink of Passion will be coming to major e-sellers at the end of February!
While I'm sorry to hear your publisher passed, I am very excited to hear that Laurie's story is coming soon! I hope your first experience with self-publishing goes well. I, for one, support you wholeheartedly.
ReplyDeleteMichelle
Thank you so much, Michelle. It's frightening, but also exhilarating. I hope you love Laurie's story!
ReplyDeleteI cannot wait to read your story. I believe that you are a very talented writer so it is their loss.
ReplyDeleteThank you, rm2h!
ReplyDelete