If anyone has not read the books, you should. Yes, they are children's books, but they are so much more than that. Very few books have captured the hearts of so many people of all ages and united them in their love for reading. After all, what other book do you know that has it's own theme park. I have not been but will as soon as I'm able. My story today is not about the seventh book but is probably my best reading HP story.
I remember when Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (BK 5) first came out. I was working as a horse back ridding instructor for a summer camp at the time and my days were filled with children and horses. Finally, on my night off, I rushed to town and bought the book. The whole summer rumors had been flying that there was a major death at the end of the book and speculation ran through the campers and staff about who it would be. I couldn't wait to get home and start reading.
I remember the night very clearly when I got to the end, and the death that devastated me. I won't give it away on the off chance that some reader is planning on reading it (although really, where have you been). It was late, later than the other staff members were up but I sensed that the story was heading somewhere important so I curled into my bunk in the staff room with a flashlight and plowed ahead. When the character died, one of my all time favorites in the series, I bawled. Buckets. So loud that I woke up the other two counselors in the bunk next to mine and still to this day I remember their responses. Both were also currently reading the book. One woman, Fiona, asked me if I was okay, while the other woman, Carolyn, yelled down in a frantic whisper, "Don't tell me! I'm not there yet!" and covered her ears with her hands. Although other people I know feel differently, that death was worse for me than the one at the end of "Half Blood Prince". Although there were a few in the seventh book that devastated me equally or more.
Needless to say, I will be there midnight with my popcorn and soda (or coffee) anxious to see the new movie. Are you going to see the movie? Do you have any fun HP stories?

The death at the end of book five was horrible! And there's was one during the Battle of Hogwarts that I still can't believe. I knew the odds were not good that all of the Weasley family would survive, but I never would have thought Rowling would kill the Weasley that she killed. She must have cried buckets writing that scene. I'm so looking forward to the movie this weekend, and the final one. Though I will have to bring a box of kleenex, and a vuvuzela for when Neville has his Big Moment!
ReplyDeleteYes I am that reader that has not read it. I am waiting for all books and movies to cvome out so I can watch it at one go. I am regretting getting into twilight I have absolutely no patience to wait for any thing.
ReplyDeleteI know exactly which part you are talking about and I felt the same way. My husband looked at me like I was insane...then he had the nerve to tell me it's just a book!
ReplyDeleteAnd yes, I plan to be there...can't wait!
Yeah, I felt the same way - flipped forward just hoping it was all a trick, but no. The character was gone. At the end of Half-Blood Prince, I walked up to my husband and said in a flat voice, "She killed XXXX". Just couldn't believe it. Reading it the second time, I realized she foreshadowed it... but I didn't pick it up. Oh, she's just my hero-writer... I think she is so darned amazing! And, I can't wait til the hubs and I go to the movie this week... it's a surprise.
ReplyDeleteHope you loved it! :)