Good morning everyone! It's the start of another week and for me time to really crack down. Last week was a lazy week for me. Despite the fact that I continued to set goals for myself, I rarely met them. So today it's time for me to buckle down and make up all those lost words.
But not only does Monday mean a fresh start. It also means another Madly in Love Monday post. Madly in Love is a weekly feature on my blog where I talk about a book that I've fallen so madly in love with, I want to share it with all of you. Most weeks I talk about a favorite romance of any and all sub-genres. But today I've got something special in mind. Today, I'm talking about one of my all time favorite books...
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. Ender's Game is a Science Fiction novel that has become a cult phenomenon, and if you're a fan of Sci-Fi and read the book, you'll understand why. This book is one of those books you just can't put down once you start. It centers around a very unique world that draws readers in and holds them captive. While the ending may be a tiny bit predictable, it still manages to tie the book off in a thoroughly satisfying manner.
blurb: In order to develop a secure defense against a hostile alien race's next attack, government agencies breed child geniuses and train them as soldiers. A brilliant young boy, Andrew "Ender" Wiggin lives with his kind but distant parents, his sadistic brother Peter, and the person he loves more than anyone else, his sister Valentine. Peter and Valentine were candidates for the soldier-training program but didn't make the cut--young Ender is the Wiggin drafted to the orbiting Battle School for rigorous military training.
Ender's skills make him a leader in school and respected in the Battle Room, where children play at mock battles in zero gravity. Yet growing up in an artificial community of young soldiers Ender suffers greatly from isolation, rivalry from his peers, pressure from the adult teachers, and an unsettling fear of the alien invaders. His psychological battles include loneliness, fear that he is becoming like the cruel brother he remembers, and fanning the flames of devotion to his beloved sister. Back on Earth, Peter and Valentine forge an intellectual alliance and attempt to change the course of history.
If you're a fan of Science Fiction, this is a book not to be missed!
What's your favorite non-romance read?


I really want to read this. I'm embarrassed that I haven't already!
ReplyDeleteThis book definitely sounds cool. Like Lydia, I'm embarrassed I haven't read it!
ReplyDeleteDon't be embarrassed! I actually put off reading this book for years. My brother recommended it to me and years later I bought it in an airport while waiting for my plane because I didn't have anything to read for the flight (this was before the kindle). I finished the book in one day and immediately started over, it was that good. You guys won't be dissapointed.
ReplyDeleteHaha, I was going to comment on how embarrassed I am that I haven't read this one, and then I read the other comments. Clearly, though, I have some reading to do!
ReplyDeletemy fave non rom book is still The Watchers by Dean Koontz
ReplyDeleteNever heard of Ender's game - sounds good. but I did buy his new book, Pathfinder. I can't wait to get to it in my TBR pile!!
ReplyDeleteLOL Meredith! Obviously you have nothing to be embarrassed about.
ReplyDeleteJoanna- That is my hands down favorite book of all time! I did a post on it awhile back. Good to know we have the same taste in books :)
Melissa - I haven't bought Pathfinder yet. I'm curious to hear what you think about it once you get to it.